Wednesday, May 14, 2014

WCYDW Canvas tips - CT Flying Unicorn


Hi everyone…my turn for the Flying Unicorn WCYDW tutorial and today I am going to share a few tips when I build a canvas project. I have started with a 6 x 6 canvas and the yummy 7 DotsNatures Walk Collection.



 Ok my first tip is something I have learned from the fabulous Miranda Edney. I love to add dimension to the top corner and one of the bottom corners and here is how ya do it. I have cut some strips for the top corner and distressed them all. Glue down the first one totally. For each corner piece that you add now, only glue down the section not by the actual corner. This allows you to have layers that can be curled up for that added dimension.



I have done the same on the bottom corner but on the canvas top.


 
Now cut paper to cover the canvas top and sides. Distress the edges and glue it all down. Do not forget..do not glue where the curled up sections are. Here is what we have so far.


 
And the top section.


 
Tip number two: I have added a bit of corrugated board strips. I then used an old credit card and swiped on a bit of gesso to cover parts of it and I also swiped a bit of gesso on the tops and sides. Masking with some 13 Arts Molding paste and a Prima mask adds lots of background dimension. I also used some Flying Unicorn lace, Creative Embellishmentschippys and thrift finds on this canvas. Some old handles and that weird looking clasp. Cover the chippys and embellishments with gesso.


 
Add your lace and do some stamping on the top and sides.

 

 
Ok this photo is horrible but there was not going back to get another shot of it LOL! I have added some Shimmerz mist to the top and some mist drips on all of the sides. Heat set and you are ready to embellish and finish this canvas off.


 
Here is the finished canvas.
 


As you can see, those rolled up sections in the corners are so pretty and just add so much to the creation.

 
 
 

 
I hope you enjoyed my canvas tips today. Happy What Can You Do Wednesday!!! Take care and happy scrapping :)

4 comments:

Denise said...

Wow! This is a beautiful canvas! Thanks for sharing it, and Miranda's tip!

Belinda Basson said...

Thanks for these corner tips. It really does add a special something to the overall finished effect.

Lizzyc said...

Love your canvas, and thanks for sharing your tips too.. love the curled up edges!

Unknown said...

First of all I need to apologize for having been MIA for so long, but things at work have been soooooo hectic lately... Just didn't have enough time left to blog... But that makes it all the more fun to enter blogland again and to see all of your fabulous creations again! You've done a wonderful job whilst I was away, lol! Such lovely work Shona! Take care, enjoy your evening, hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner